Saturday 22 April 2017

We’re All Ears April Challenge

The challenge this month was based on eggs in all their forms. Easter eggs, natural egg images, egg colours, egg shapes, whatever struck a creative spark

The inspiration photos of Ukrainian pysanki eggs are amazing and each one is a little treasure. There’s just something about them though that never works for me. Maybe it’s because they just feel too busy, too overwhelming with all their intricate patterns and colours





 For me the natural world, with its many amazing egg colours, shapes and textures, is a better fit. I went looking online and came up with 2 beautiful images. This first one I found online a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I forgot to save the link and have not been able to track it down again



Those purple speckles on the cream background are gorgeous. They inspired this pair of earrings

Speckled

The ceramic drops, though not quite egg shaped, are an excellent interpretation of the egg. They were created by Natalie McKenna of Grubbi Ceramics. I added glass button drops, also called mushroom beads, in a colourway called summer thunder. I picked out the ones I thought went well with the ceramic drops and used waxed linen in a light purple to tie the stack to antiqued bronze jump rings. The jump rings hang from brass ear wires that I antiqued very lightly.

I also found this image of Lewin bird eggs, this time on Pinterest.





These eggs inspired this pair of earrings

SpringGreens

The top egg felt like a close match to the ceramic drops, again from Natalie McKenna. As with the first pair of earrings I used more of the glass button drops from the summer thunder colourway. This time I used a bronze wire for the totem and bright brass ear wires for the final touch.

I hope you enjoyed the earrings. They are available in my shop

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day

6 comments:

  1. Really pretty earrings! I love the pastel colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. The colours felt perfect for the theme this month
      Mona

      Delete
  2. Your earrings are super sweet! I love the pale colors and how you stacked the button beads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those button beads are some of my favourites for some reason. It might be because of the way they sort of lock together. Thanks
      Mona

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely interpretation! It feels soft and natural and restful. I agree those pysanky are very busy but their intricate details suck me into the patterns and imagery. I quite like how you used those button beads. I have some and I am forever stuck with how to use them. Lovely! Thanks for playing and Happy Spring! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin. With this month being so busy with taxes for 5 people along with large projects at my bill paying job I was really longing for a restful feeling. Thanks for the great challenge
      Mona

      Delete